Your First Visit
Do I need to contact anyone before I come?
You are welcome to just turn up before 7:30 on any Monday evening. That said, if you have any questions, or would feel more comfortable if someone was expecting you, please fill out the form on this page, or the contact details on the contact page.
What do most people wear?
As many people come straight from work, casual-work clothes are very common. You are welcome to wear whatever makes you feel comfortable - be that jeans & a T-shirt, or a suit & tie. Authenticity leads to confidence.
Where can I park?
There is plenty of parking on either side of the yacht club building. Please don't block the boat ramps, especially at high tide, but otherwise anywhere is fine. You'll see others' cars near the building, so you can just follow suit.
What do I need to bring?
Most people like to bring a pen or pencil. We have a one page printed agenda for each meeting, which you can use for notes. It's a good idea to have a board or magazine to rest this on. Once you have joined, if you bring your manuals you will have all your information to hand and something to rest on.
When doesn't Shoreline Toastmasters Club meet?
- From two weeks before Christmas we have a short break of five weeks.
- We also don't meet on public holidays that fall on a Monday.
What are the meetings like?
- While each meeting differs, most include one to three prepared speeches. A typical meeting would last one-and-a-half hours and have the following format:
- -------------- Five minute break ---------------
- Table Topics - These are short impromptu speeches. You may introduce yourself during this section, or try your hand at a table topic if you are keen. If you want to sit out and just watch, that is fine too.
- Evaluation of the First Speaker
- Evaluation of the Second Speaker
- Evaluation of the Table Topics
- Time Keeper's report
- General Evaluation of everyone who hasn't been evaluated yet (Sergeant at Arms - Opening welcomer, Toastmaster - the MC, Speaker Introducers, Evaluators, & the Timer)
- Tea / Coffee / Biscuits / Casual chatting